Gua Sha - Natural wood skin tool
Gua Sha is a practice of scraping the skin to improve circulation and move lymph. Translated, gua means to press or stroke, and sha refers to a rash or redness though the face requires a lighter touch. Gua Sha is THE at-home tool for firmer, glowing skin. Practiced for centuries, this ancient modality sees a resurgence in popularity as many folks are discovering its benefits.
- HOW TO USE
Gua Sha treatment massages the skin, moves energy, blood, and lymph. It increases circulation by up to 400 percent, which moves out stagnation and toxins and brings in nutrients and oxygen. Your skin will immediately be more supple and rejuvenated. You are also creating a controlled trauma (the skin redness), which the skin starts to repair with collagen.
Check out the blog post here
This tool is ideal for use with my "Rivers" lymphatic massage oil. This seasonally available oil is infused with Ocotillo, a plant with an affinity for the lymph system and an ally for moving stagnation.
SUSTAINABILITY MISSION: Products come packaged in glass or paper. I avoid using plastic whenever possible. Orders ship with fully compostable packing materials or in compost mailers.
How to Use:
1. You can use a gua sha on the face, body, and scalp, and it's best to use with water or oil – but never on bare skin.
2. Hold the gua sha tool with the curved side to your face and glide it gently up and out, starting with the neck, jawline, chin, and around the mouth, between three and five times per area. Always take short strokes in just one direction, not back and forth.
3. Next, press the tool flat to the skin, under the eyes or over any redness, to soothe and de-puff.
4. Work the device in small horizontal strokes over the brow bone to lift or hold and press upwards between the brows to release tension.
5. Stroke down the neck, never upwards, to drain fluid.
6. If you want to reduce puffiness, work lightly, then more firmly, to relax muscles
A local artist crafts these gorgeous wooden gua sha tools. Made of walnut, birch, cherry, and cedar, these are the perfect addition to any lymphatic massage routine. Two sizes are available for a facial (smaller size) or full body (larger size) gua sha.